Saturday, February 28, 2015

Saga of Hugo the Handsome by Dora Brown


A black and white ball of fur rests in my lap, purring rhythmically, interrupting himself occasionally to stretch up and tap playfully on my keyboard, added unwanted letter to my sentences-a self appointed editor. Two years old now, Hugo the Handsome is the picture of perfect feline contentment.

It wasn't always so. He came into my life by an act of violence. Born to a feral mother he and his brother and sisters were saved from starvation by a kindly woman who fed feral (“wild”) cats in the neighborhood. One night, she grabbed him by the scruff of his neck, stuffed him in a small carrier, and slammed the door shut. I tossed a towel over his prison to calm him, but he continued to yowl in protest. I took him to my house, planning to socialize (“tame”) him as I had done with other kittens, then find him a permanent home.

When we arrived home, I took a closer look at him. It wasn't very promising. He was dirty, thin, flea ridden—and utterly defiant. Green eyes glinting, he hissed and slashed his claws at me. My heart went out to him at that moment. I set out food, water and substitute cats' milk in my tiny bathroom and opened the carrier, hoping that he'd eat and settle down overnight. The next morning the food and water were gone, and so was the kitten!

He'd climbed up the shower curtain and upon discovery, again threatened me with those claws. I'd socialized several other feral kittens, and they'd all quickly succumbed to food and affection. In less than a day, they'd turned into cuddlesome, purring pets. Not this one!

After a few days, though, things began in improve. He'd allow me to touch him, but briefly. Then he began to purr and seek me out. Meanwhile, I was hunting for a permanent home for him. I found responsible people to take the other three littermates, but no one wanted this little guy. I hadn't named him, believing that doing so would create a bond, that he'd become my kitten, and I already had three cats. There was no room in my house--or my life-- for another cat.

You know what happened, don't you? One day I looked at him, and the words popped out, “Hugo, you're a handsome devil.” So I accepted the inevitable, and Hugo the Handsome became a member of the household. I'd wanted to find him a good home, and I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment