Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Part 2 Guest Post by Eric Burkhart, “www.mukhabaratbaby.blogspot.com”

 
A Funny Thing Happened On My Way To Buy Deer Corn. Part  2

Anastacia stayed very late, which is not uncommon. As soon as the cat gets hungry enough to go into the trap with food, the opening closes. Voila, another cat ready to go. I couldn’t help but laugh when Anastacia shared with me some of the stories of Raccoons and Skunks getting locked in the traps. Neither animal is fun to work with, as Raccoons are mean-spirited (just an opinion, Raccoon lovers) and strong, and skunks have a built-in flame thrower, so to speak. Sometimes it takes Anastacia a number of days to catch the entire colony, but she isn’t one to leave a job incomplete. Then she transports to the animals to an Animal Defense League office or to a Control Facility or Vet that is willing to help (the Raccoons and Skunks are released onsite, thank you). Once the cats have been fixed and doctored, Anastacia returned them to the location, and ideally an animal lover will take over the job of providing food on a daily basis. The Dollar General job was a bit different. One of the cats (Sasquatch) was ready to give birth, and another (Emerald) went into labor maybe a week before we began the operation. It took both of us to locate Emerald’s hiding place for her kittens, but we succeeded! One of my favorite memories, something I will never forget, was Anastacia walking up to me out of the brush with a huge smile, and a kitten tucked into each pocket of her jacket (four in all). The little beasties were not happy, and they were letting us know; but I’ve never seen anything so delicate and soft and beautiful as those four little kittens. Emerald did well, and I’m happy to report that all four were adopted, as was Emerald.

Unfortunately, everything has a price tag. Depending on the location and the medical dispensation of the cat, the average kitty will cost between $50 and $75 for the surgery and the doctorin’. Believe me, very little if any of that money goes back to the trapper, regardless of the time, effort and gas expended. If I come across a “cat situation” I won’t hesitate to investigate and see if possibly I can hire Anastacia to assist. I don’t have a great deal of disposable income, but this is something that I’m happy to add to my budget. I don’t know what it is, but I just can’t handle seeing an animal in need. My father used to say that animals were better company that most people because people have a tendency to covet, be jealous, cheat, lie and cause pain. Animals act in response to need and the laws of nature, which makes them more predictable and trustworthy. My old man had a way of getting things right.

So if you’re ever at a grocery store or an ice house, and you see a nice-looking lady in a hatchback, moving around cat traps, it just might be Anastacia. Do a good deed and go up to her and thank her for her efforts. If you spare it, donate a little cash to the local Trap, Neuter, and Return campaign through Anastacia. You will be doing your part in the battle to keep our communities free of feral animals, and end the needless suffering of domesticated animals.



No comments:

Post a Comment