Monday, February 9, 2015

Guest Blogger Eric Burkhart, Part 1


Guest Post by Eric Burkhart, “www.mukhabaratbaby.blogspot.com”

A Funny Thing Happened On My Way To Buy Deer Corn.

One cloudless, warm summer day in 2012, I headed out to Lowe’s in Blanco to pick up some Deer Corn. I have a family of White-Tail Deer that basically live on my property in the Texas Hill Country, about an hour north of San Antonio. The permanent members of the family are female, as once the males get old enough and rut season begins, they leave. Normally, I see bucks in groups of two, but the ladies always travel in larger numbers. I have been feeding the same ladies for over five years now (a combination of Corn and Nutrition Pellets), and they know me very well. They have absolutely no fear, and one won’t hesitate to come into the house, if I’m forgetful enough to leave the door open (I lost a box of Girl Scout Cookies in about twenty seconds flat, but that’s another story). On my way to Lowes, I happen to glance to my left in the direction of the Dollar General store, and in the back, beside the dumpster, I can see a number of small cats digging around through some left-over garbage. While picking up my Deer Corn, I decided to by some cat food for those cats, because they looked hungry. I just can’t handle the thought of a starving animal. Like most people, I assumed that cats have no problem living on the wild. I was wrong; I remember the day that I was reminded that “domesticated means domesticated”, whether referring to dogs or cats. Domestic Cats are not meant to be living feral lives.

As I pulled into the Dollar General Parking Lot, I realized that I would need to park near the dumpster, which bothers some business owners who don’t like people dropping off their garbage. When I parked and got out of my car, the cats took off in all directions. There must have been seven or eight, and they were fast. Once I opened the cat food and started pouring it on a conveniently placed folded-up cardboard box, two of the more courageous (or just hungrier) cats came right up to me. That’s when it happened. I looked down into those little, desperate, hungry eyes, and I said to myself, I can’t bring myself to just forget about these cats. They were surviving, in a manner of speaking, but it was a life of predators, weather, hunger and disease. No doubt some of the cats were dumped, and others were the kittens of cats that were dumped. How does anyone find the cruelty in their own hearts, to dump an animal in an unfamiliar place, with no shelter or food? I just don’t get it. That day, I added a colony of cats to my list of animals that I intended to feed, right under the White-Tail Deer and the two Foxes that come around every night.

I became a familiar face to the staff of the Dollar General. They were wonderful, and would give me any cat food that had become unsealed during the transportation from the warehouse. They never minded me back there by their dumpster, and after the first two or three visits, the County Sheriffs started just waving to me as well. I would feed the cats once in the morning and once in the evening, and a couple times a week I would clean the back lot of garbage, as a favor to Dollar General. The cats were spoiled. The received a mixture of dry and wet cat food every day, and not surprisingly, it wasn’t long before the number of little beasties started to grow. I had two twin Torties, two Tabbies, two solid back girls, three orange and white, and a handful more of mixed colors. One of the smaller cats, that for a while looked like she might not make it, had really large paws. I became totally infatuated with her and started calling her Sasquatch because of her bog feet. Well, it turns out that once she got a bit of meat on her bones, her feet were totally normal! But the nickname stayed. After a couple months of this routine (and the assigning of the unwanted nickname, “Crazy Cat Dude”), I began to notice that Sasquatch was developing an odd shape. On closer inspection, I noticed that Emerald was even more oddly shaped. I’m no moron, at least not on even-numbered weekdays. I realized that some of my kitties were pregnant. The number of cats was about to double and I had no idea what to do! I didn’t know what to do, so I called the local County Animal Control. You can imagine my shock when they informed me that most County Animal Control Departments in Texas no longer deal with cats. The number of Felines had gotten way out of control, as had the number of female Pit Bulls that were being dumped. So they elected to focus exclusively on dogs, and leave the cats to their own devices. I found out later that many Animal Control Centers across the country were having the same problem with female Pit Bulls. The dogs were always very friendly, and usually not very old. Young men were buying the females as soon as they reached breeding age. Then they would be kept caged and pregnant ALL THE TIME, so that by the time they were three or four, they could no longer have puppies. Then they got dumped in downtown somewhere. What makes the story even more horrific, is that the puppies that were born (at least the males) were being bred to fight. Dog fighting has re-emerged as a scourge on our society, and unfortunately it is more popular now than ever before. But that is a subject for another post.

After having no luck with the state organizations, I decided to call a few private groups. I hit the jackpot with my first phone call, which was to the Blanco County Cat Coalition. I spoke to a wonderful lady named June, who was determined to help me from the start. I explained that I had a colony of cats, and number of them were pregnant. June took the time to carefully explain the “Trap, Neuter, Release” program. The cats are trapped, taken to a vet, neutered or spayed, given a physical and the full range of shots and vaccinations, and then released back into the same environment, where they can be fed and “maintenanced”. Since no cat shelters that I have seen are dealing with overflow crowds of ideal families to adopt cats, this is the best solution. The cat will not breed, it will have its shots, and it will be fed. June explained to me that since the cats weren’t actually in Blanco County (one mile south), the decision to address this particular colony would be made by the lady who does the trapping. June added that they were very lucky, because they had an amazing woman working with them who really had the hang of it. She put me in touch with Anastacia, and we met that afternoon at the Dollar General. She had no problems with the location, thank goodness, but if she were going to attack this problem, then I needed to understand a few things up front. “First, we aren’t dealing with eight or nine cats, but probably fifteen or more. And when I start the trapping, you CAN’T come out and feed them. You must put away your worries about the poor hungry cats and let me do my job, because in order for the cats to go into the trap and get to the food, the cat needs to be mighty hungry.” That was going to be tough. The only way that I could agree to that stipulation (even though it made total sense), was to stay away from the Dollar General completely, until all the cats were caught.

I learned so much from Anastacia in such a short time. She taught about the general nature of cats, and what to expect in particular circumstances. She really knows her business, and has her heart set on doing what is right. At this point, with an absolute flood of unwanted cats and dogs being born in the wild, we have to focus on the neuter and spay program. I believe that a quick inspection of Blanco County (and others that are on the ball) will demonstrate that this program really helps to get the numbers under control. Knowing this fact didn’t make it any easier to watch my little Sasquatch looking back at me for food, so I left.

To be continued.............
Sasquatch and Kittens

No comments:

Post a Comment