Monday, March 2, 2015

Squeakers' Story


Squeaker
Dear Friends,

Hello, my name is Squeaker; I was born near a dumpster behind a feed store in Blanco County, TX. My mother and her sister had been abandoned there and each had a litter of kittens. They tried to feed us with scraps and keep us warm; but often I went to sleep cold and hungry. My cousins and I were constantly on the hunt for food; one of us found a minnow tank with fish in it, but fell in and was drowned. Another one of us was hit by a car in the parking lot while hunting for bugs to eat. I don't know how we survived. We were afraid of humans; sometimes they would chase us and try to catch us. We were not allowed to be fed because people thought that if we were kept near starvation, we would not reproduce. (When my mother was finally caught she was found to be pregnant, again!)

Someone started setting traps for us. One day when I was so hungry I couldn't stand it anymore, I got into a trap and was caught! I was taken to the SPCA in Fredricksburg, but they could not find me a home because I was too wild. I was then taken to the Austin Humane Society, but they couldn't find me a home because I tested positive for feline leukemia, even though I didn't look or feel sick. Finally I found a home with a nice lady in the country. My cousin Toby was also living there. I was given plenty of food and water, I had a warm place to sleep, and I found out just how good it feels to be petted. I am now one of the happiest kitties in Blanco county!”

I wish this story had a happy ending. Squeaker turned out to be a wonderful cat. He was very affectionate, loved to help in the garden, and got along with the other cats (and even the dogs!). He finally succumbed to the leukemia, and is buried near the garden where he loved to play.

The number of sick, suffering, abused and abandoned animals in this county is heartbreaking.

But it doesn't need to be this way. With your help we can change things.

Progress is being made; many lives both human and feline have been improved . Please spay and neuter your pets and support TNR programs in your area. Thank You.



Cousin Toby aka Ratface
PS; It was the cat I named Toby, that broke my heart. I had spent hours and days trying to catch him. He would scurry up and around the shelves at the feed store just like a large rat would. He was starving but too smart to get into a trap. I seem to remember using the other kitten, Squeaker as bait and leaving the traps set overnight. He was a wild little thing, who also tested positive for leukemia. He lasted a year before I had to put him down. It seems that when cats get leukemia as kittens they don't live long. But if they get it when they are older they can live quite a while. I know a cat that has had it for six years now, and he is showing no signs of sickness. One thing I learned from having leukemia kittens is that when they start to succumb don't try and get them healthy again, it is a losing battle. Save yourself the expense and the heartache. Someone had given me that advice but it seems I had to learn it on my own. I still miss Squeaker and Toby aka Ratface.

No comments:

Post a Comment