Sunday, February 22, 2015

Poison Ivy

Links:
A .Amazing Urushiol
B. Poison Ivy



Not long ago I wrote about my feelings regarding cedar trees, and my chainsaw solution to the problems they cause. In this post I would like to introduce another villain of the plant world, poison ivy. In the process of cutting up the fallen cedar I have been unpleasantly reminded that poison ivy vines can and do climb trees. Of course this time of year there are no “leaves of three” to give warning. All that is showing is the dead looking vine. So, while I was happily cutting up the cedar I didn't think twice about the “honeysuckle” vine that I chopped up and put on the burn pile. Then a day or so later a familiar rash started popping up on my arms, right between where my gloves meet the cuffs of my shirt. No problem, I have been though this before, I will start treating this right away and then it wouldn't be quite so bad. I find it truly amazing that one or two small blisters can itch so very much. I thought that I was going to get off easy this time until a few spots showed up on my legs, then on my stomach and drat it, on my face and now it is pretty much all over. When will I learn to wash everything, I mean everything that could possibly have that oil on it. An internet search revealed some fun facts about poison ivy and its cousins, that I would like to share with you. The ingredient in poison ivy that is the poison is an oil called urushiol and takes takes only 1 nanogram (billionth of a gram to cause a rash. It would only take 1/4 ounce to cause a rash on every person on the entire planet! The amount that covers the head of a pin could make 500 people itch. The nasty oil is found in the entire plant, leaves, stems, roots. Only people react to the oil, animals can actually eat the stuff. Little did I know that I had chemical weapons growing right in my own back yard. And, it is organic!


No comments:

Post a Comment